Most if not all downloads here are extremely old, and not representative of current work (posted May 21st, 2013)! In fact, they probably won't even work, unless you can get into the debug mode! They're only here for historical reasons, and I haven't tended to this website in quite some time. This will be remedied... later ;) Time must be spent programming!
Harmonia v0.0.2 pre2
Harmonia 0.0.1a (Windows/Linux) - Development Snapshot
This is the first of many public builds for Harmonia we plan to distribute during development. In this demo, you play the classic text-based version of the game with our work-in-progress 3D map in the background. This should give you a taste of everything we've done in Harmonia so far and where we plan to go with it in the future.
This is the first demo we've ever released, you're really getting a first look at a development snapshot - it's buggy, but it runs! This build is NOT representative of the final project. In fact, the Terminal window will be gone COMPLETELY, replaced with a more intuitive interface with a HUD and straight-forward mouse commands. In the meantime, until that's finished, enjoy this demo!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. This is complicated. How do I play?
Gameplay is going to change A LOT, so we'd like to spend our time working on the new interface rather than document the old one we're going to toss away later. To get a list of commands, press '?' (shift+/ on most keyboards) during gameplay. If there are players online, feel free to ask them for help. You can always PM me or leave a comment if you have any specific questions!
2. Why is there a map in the background?
This game is originally all ASCII text-based, and that's the game you're playing right now. In the background is our work-in-progress 3D map, which will carry a completely new interface. Once that's done, the terminal window will be gone.
3. Why does everything have so much lag?
This will be fixed with the new interface. Everything at the moment is handled by the server, even your display. What you see is slow because it's travelling half-way around the world to get to you. Again, this will NOT be present once we've finished the new interface.
4. Why does it crash when I do so-and-so? It shouldn't be crashing!
This build hasn't seen much testing. You're playing a very, very early development snapshot, and it's not optimized yet. If you spot serious bugs, please PM me or email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Why can't I connect?
The server hasn't seen much traffic yet, so now that there are players, it's crashing from time to time. It automatically reboots, however; wait a minute or two and everything will be back online. Player snapshots are saved about every five minutes, so you shouldn't lose much progress.
Play Harmonia the MUD
Harmonia was originally a MUD you would play through Telnet, and you still can! Here's how:
To play, please use a Telnet client and connect here:
Here are some compatible clients and the proper settings:
- For Windows, I prefer PuTTY, which should work right out of the box.
- For Mac, you can use the 'telnet' program from the terminal, but the Terminal app has issues with bright colors. iTerm2 is a better choice!
- For Linux, 'telnet' should work just fine from any terminal :D
- Although Tintin++ appears to work fine, it is likely that your favorite MUD client will not work because of the fancy visual interface. Harmonia also takes commands as single characters, not lines, so your client will need to behave as such.
- Harmonia is to be played with a white-on-black color scheme only. Things will look weird if you do otherwise!
- If you're having terminal issues, make sure 'local echo' is off and the terminal is either in 'character mode' or 'line editing' is off.